Sunday 29 September 2013

Saturday 28th September

On the road just after 7am on a sunny and surprisingly warm morning and as normal I was on the Rory with no idea where I was a going just a mooch around the lanes. Took my normal route out through South Weald, Blackmore and Willingale to Birds Green, with a stop along School La at Hornets Farm. To inspect the small graveyard at the Farm Gates, when I was first shown this site some 20 years ago it was very overgrown but these days it`s being looked after and is much tidy. But I do wonder how many know it`s there as they speed pass whether in a motor vehicle or cycling! I continued on through Beauchamp & Abbess Roding`s and then onto Matching Green, stopping beside the village pond I notice a pair of swans, can`t remember ever seeing swans here before. As it was time for my Iron Rations I pointed my wheels towards Matching Church as I seem to remember a bench just waiting for me.
Then back to Matching Green and onto Little Laver and Clatterford End to Fyfield for a short stop beside the River Roding which was running pretty high. Then it was the ups and downs along the Willingale Road to pick up my outward route back to Blackmore and South Weald. It was much cloudy and windy by this time and the last mile to home I caught a short sharp shower! But a nice mooch around the lanes today and I was back indoors at 14.30 with just over 62 miles on the clock.

St. Mary Church, and the Marriage & Feast house which was build by a William Chimney around 1480 for the use of his farm workers on their wedding day. It was last used for this purpose in 1936, these days it`s mostly used for Church functions.




No comments:

Post a Comment