Monday 9 September 2013

Sunday 8th September

A sunny morning and I was on the road by 07.30 and once again I was on the Rory, and I had a destination of Mill Green near Ingatestone for the start of the Essex CTC Rough Stuff event. I took my lumpy route out to Great Warley not a road I normally use during the week because of fast and heavy traffic. But early Sunday mornings it`s not too bad and there`s time to look around at some of the lovely old buildings. Though sadly the Forge or as some call it Blacksmiths which was established in 1880 is no longer, the building can still be seen but it closed down some years ago. New houses are now being build on land around the Forge/Blacksmiths. More climbing through Brentwood was called for and then it was downhill to the Mountnessing roundabout and then through Ingatestone to Fryering and Mill Green. It was nice to meet up with Essex cyclists I`ve not seen for many years like Brian Taylor and Steve Gregson. Only 11 riders set off on the event, I of course wasn`t taking part so I had a spin around the lanes of Writtle, Roxwell, Blackmore and Beggar Hill.
Back in Mill Green I met another cyclist I`ve not seen for over 3 years Beryl Russell so we had a good old chat while waiting for the riders to return. After most of the riders came back (4 were missing) we all headed for the Viper for lunch, and once again I met cyclists from the Chelmsford group I`ve not seen for years including Dave Russell. During lunch two more cyclists found there way back and brought the rain with them. I decide head for home at 2pm  and retraced my outward route back to Mountnessing Windmill and then headed for Hutton and up The Avenue to Thorndon Country Park for a short stop. Then after a few ups and downs plus a heavy downpour I was indoors at 4pm with 54.41 on the clock.
Some of the cyclists signing on for the Essex CTC Rough Stuff event

Two members of the Havering (my old club) setting off, I never saw them again I gather they spent too much time over their breaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment